Our D23 update has news of Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives moving to the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago in October. In celebration of Disneyland’s 58th anniversary, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club has launched the “Off the Map Sweepstakes.” You will wanna check out the details on this! and finally to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Disney VoluntEARS program, Disney Citizenship invites fans and families to give back to their communities as “honorary” VoluntEARS for the day at the D23 Expo.
DISNEY CITIZENSHIP INVITES FANS TO CELEBRATE
30th ANNIVERSARY OF DISNEY VOLUNTEARS AT D23 EXPO 2013
Guests can participate as “Honorary” Disney VoluntEARS in community-strengthening service projects
Burbank, Calif. – July 19, 2013 – To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Disney VoluntEARS program, Disney Citizenship invites fans and families to give back to their communities as “honorary” VoluntEARS for the day at the D23 Expo. The Ultimate Disney Fan Event takes places August 9 – 11 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
“Honorary” VoluntEARS will work alongside Disney employees and nonprofits, including Feeding America, the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank, Inside the Outdoors, First Book and local Boys & Girls Clubs on one of three service projects:
- Create healthy snack packs for a local food bank: Fans will pack healthy snack bags for kids and families in Los Angeles County. Snack packs will be distributed through the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank.
- Plant seeds for school and community vegetable gardens: Working with Inside the Outdoors, “honorary” VoluntEARS will prepare vegetable and herb seedlings that will later be distributed to nearby school and community gardens.
- Assemble creativity kits for kids: Guests will join First Book and Boys & Girls Clubs to decorate and fill creativity kits with school supplies and Disney books for thousands of kids heading back to school this fall.
While at the Citizenship pavilion, guests can share what inspires them to create a brighter tomorrow at the “Be Inspired” photo booth. Fans can also boost their Disney Citizenship I.Q. and win prizes by participating in a virtual scavenger hunt that will lead them through the Expo in search of fun facts. The scavenger hunt will be part of the D23 Expo app, available later this month in the iTunes and Google Play stores.
D23 MEMBERS CAN GO “OFF THE MAP” AT DISNEYLAND
New Sweepstakes Offers D23 Members the Chance to Unlock the Magic of The Happiest Place on Earth With a Once-In-a-Lifetime Tour
BURBANK, Calif. – July 17, 2013 – In celebration of Disneyland’s 58th anniversary today, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club has launched the “Off the Map Sweepstakes.” Twenty-five lucky D23 Members and their guests will be invited to Disneyland Park to visit four of the park’s little-seen but widely heard of locations: Walt Disney’s private apartment, the Lilly Belle VIP parlor car on the Disneyland Railroad, Circle D Ranch, and the Disneyland Dream Suite.
“Our friends at Disneyland will give the winning D23 Members a special glimpse at some of the park’s most amazing hidden gems, special places that most guests never get to see,” said Steven Clark, Head of D23. “Our first ‘Off the Map’ member event in 2012 was such a huge hit that we wanted to reprise it with this special sweepstakes so even more of our members have a chance to visit these truly magical and historical Disneyland locations.”
Winners will be able to explore:
- Walt Disney’s private apartment: Built during the initial construction of Disneyland, Walt Disney’s private apartment is a quaint studio dwelling, filled with Victorian decor, family photos, and antiques selected by the Disney family.
- Lilly Belle VIP parlor car: Disneyland guests have long taken grand circle tours on the Disneyland Railroad, but few ever enjoy the ride from the elegant Lilly Belle VIP car parlor. Named after Walt’s wife, Lillian, the Lilly Belle is truly a piece of history, built in 1955, and refurbished to its modern state of luxury for America’s bicentennial celebration in 1976.
- Circle D Ranch: From the friendly goats at Big Thunder Ranch to the horses who carry guests down Main Street, U.S.A., Circle D Ranch is home to Disneyland’s beloved “four-legged cast members.”
- Disneyland Dream Suite: This private space above Pirates of the Caribbeanwas originally planned to be another apartment for Walt Disney, but he passed away before its completion. In 2008, Imagineers used some of Walt’s original ideas and some truly magical surprises of their own to transform it into a fantasy villa like no other.
D23 Members may enter the sweepstakes beginning today through August 23at D23.com. The tour will take place on Wednesday, October 2. Winners will be able to attend with one (1) guest. For complete rules, details, and eligibility please visit D23.com. No purchase required; guests may join D23 for free at D23.com.
D23 PRESENTS TREASURES OF THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES,OPENING OCTOBER 16, 2013, AT THE MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY, CHICAGO
90 Years of Disney Imagination, Innovation and Entertainment Come to Chicago, Including Iconic Props, Costumes, Artwork and Artifacts from The Walt Disney Archives
CHICAGO – July 18, 2013 – D23 Presents Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives,an exhibition which encompasses nearly 300 artifacts from nine decades of Disney history, opens at the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (MSI) on October 16, 2013 (the actual 90th anniversary of The Walt Disney Company) and continues through February 17, 2014.
Presented by D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives showcases the creative accomplishments and innovations of one ofChicago’s native sons, Walt Disney, and the ongoing legacy of the company that bears his name. From Mickey Mouse to Mary Poppins to Captain Jack Sparrow, the exhibition features many artifacts that have not been widely seen by the public—including drawings; props; costumes; artwork from classic Disney animation, theme park attractions, TV shows and live action films; plus items from contemporary Disney milestones.
“The Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives showcases the creativity and innovation that has defined Disney for 90 years,” said Robert A. Iger, chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company. “We’re proud of this heritage, and we are very pleased to share this rare glimpse into our rich history with Chicago’s world-renowned Museumof Science and Industry.”
In addition to myriad fascinating artifacts that are sure to stir childhood memories and be familiar icons to many, the exhibition will feature hands-on, interactive stations that will bring Disney technological breakthroughs in animation and motion pictures to life. Guests can try their luck in recording sound effects for a film, explore the wonders of Disney’s revolutionary MultiPlane film camera and even learn to draw some of their favorite Disney characters in the Animation Academy.
“Through this exhibit we’re pleased to showcase Walt Disney as both a master storyteller and an impressive innovator whose creative legacy continues to inspire people of all ages,” said David Mosena, president and CEO of the Museum ofScience and Industry, Chicago. “Guests will be immersed in Walt Disney’s ‘can do’ spirit, optimistic outlook and never ending curiosity that propelled him through his impressive career. This spirit continues to be the creative inspiration behind many of the incredible experiences created by Disney today.”
Among the extraordinary items to be featured:
- Clips from several of Walt Disney’s earliest animated works, before there was a Mickey.
- The original script, written by Walt Disney, for the 1928 cartoon shortSteamboat Willie, which introduced movie theater audiences to Mickey Mouse for the very first time.
- A partial recreation of Walt Disney’s formal office from the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, Calif., including original furnishings and many of his personal items.
- Hand-drawn artwork, hand-sculpted models and props used in the production of some of Disney’s most iconic and renowned animated features, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo and Sleeping Beauty.
- A recreation of a working animator’s office from the Disney Studios featuring authentic animator’s furniture, and models.
- Animation models and artwork from contemporary Disney animation film hits, including The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King andAladdin.
- Props from classic Disney live-action films, including Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Rocketeer, The Princess Diaries, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and Enchanted.
- A special area of the exhibition that is dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the release of Mary Poppins, with film clips, interviews with the movie’s creators and rare behind-the-scenes photos.
- A salute to Disneyland® Park in California and Magic Kingdom® Park inFlorida, showcasing artwork, Audio-Animatronics® characters, and memorabilia from such popular attractions as it’s a small world, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, The Hall of Presidents, as well as early plans and correspondence for Walt Disney’s vision of Epcot.
This exhibit is not included in Museum Entry and will require an additional timed-entry ticket, which is $9 for adults, $9 for seniors and $7 for children 3-11. Tickets will go on sale at msichicago.org on September 4, 2013. D23 Gold and Silver Members will receive a special discount on exhibit entry.
The name “D23” pays homage to the exciting journey that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his fledgling studio in Hollywood. D23 is the first official club for fans in Disney’s nearly 90-year history. D23 gives its members a greater connection to the entire world of Disney by placing them in the middle of the magic through its quarterly publication Disney twenty-three; a rich website with members-only content at D23.com; member-exclusive discounts and special events for D23 Members throughout the year, highlighted by the D23 Expo in Anaheim, California, August 9–11, 2013. Fans can join at Gold, Silver and Free Membership levels at D23.com and at www.DisneyStore.com/D23. To keep up with all the latest D23 news and events, follow us @DisneyD23 on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube.
About D23 Expo 2013
The D23 Expo—The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—brings the entire world of Disney under one roof, providing attendees with unprecedented access to Disney films, television, and theme parks. For the latest D23 Expo 2013 news, visitwww.D23Expo.com. To be part of the D23 Expo conversation, make sure to follow @DisneyD23 and tag your tweets with #D23Expo.
About The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (MSI)
The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (MSI) offers a wide array of world-class, relevant and uniquely interactive exhibitions designed to inspire the inventive genius in everyone. Through its Center for the Advancement of Science Education (CASE), MSI also aspires to a larger vision: to inspire and motivate children to achieve their full potential in science, technology, medicine and engineering. Come visit and find your inspiration! MSI is open 9:30 – 4 p.m. every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas day. The Museum is supported in part through the generosity of the people of Chicago through the Chicago Park District. For more information, find MSI online at msichicago.org or call (773) 684-1414 or (800) GO-TO-MSI outside of the Chicago area.