SPRING ISSUE OF DISNEY TWENTY-THREE SETS SAIL FEBRUARY 1
Features Awe-Inspiring Tour of New Disney Dream Cruise Ship;
D23: Disney’s Official Fan Club Also Interviews Sir Elton John About His Upcoming Animated Film and Duet with Lady Gaga;
and 25 Years of Musical Monsters with Tim Burton and Composer Danny Elfman
BURBANK, Calif. – January 19, 2011 – The spring issue of Disney twenty-three magazine hits stands February 1, loaded with articles to delight both Disney fans and the general public.
The cover story gives readers a stem-to-stern tour of Disney Cruise Line’s awe-inspiring new ship, Disney Dream, a mighty 4,000 passenger vessel equipped with cutting-edge technology and activities and entertainment for ultimate family fun on the high seas. Featuring an exclusive guided exploration of this third and largest ship in the Disney fleet, the spring issue of Disney twenty-three lets readers learn exciting details from the Imagineers who helped transform their creative vision into one of the world’s most spectacular floating vacation spots.
Imagineer Joe Lanzisero steers readers through the ideas that percolated early on in the minds of his fellow Imagineers as the seemingly impossible details for the Disney Dream took shape and became reality. Readers will discover how the design team conquered new cruise challenges such as providing every stateroom on board with an ocean view (even the interior cabins!) as well as giving guests a way to safely steal a look 12 feet over the side of the ship itself. In talking about the design process, Lanzisero claims it was “…like watching a great musician or a great dancer create. It just happens before your eyes; you never think about what goes into it.”
Disney twenty-three’s spring issue also includes an exclusive interview with Sir Elton John discussing his participation in Disney’s new animated feature film, Gnomeo & Juliet, a picturesque and comedic retelling of Shakespeare’s traditional love story that now stars garden gnomes. Sir Elton talks about how the film inspired him to spoof his own music, adding that “every artist should have a sense of humor about himself. Nothing is sacred. I think poking fun at yourself is one of the greatest things you can do.” He also chats about recording a duet with Lady Gaga called ‘Hello Hello” and provides surprising insight about other songs included in the film.
The spring issue also celebrates the 25-year collaboration between composer Danny Elfman and filmmaker Tim Burton, presenting fans with a retrospective of the quirky fruits of their collaborations. Elfman reveals the creative process behind their sometimes funny and sometimes eccentric, but always unforgettable, creations.
There’s much more in the spring issue of Disney twenty-three, including:
- GOOD TASTE IS TIMELESS: Highlights the history and tradition of the refreshing beer called Radeberger that is served at Epcot’s Germany Pavilion.
- INSIDE AT DISNEY’S EXCLUSIVE TALK, SQUAWK & SQUEAK CLUB: Disney twenty-three chats it up with the personalities who give voice to Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto. Plus meet the all-star cast of Disney Channel’s new animated series, Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- THE ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME: Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline leads a rich trip back in time, packed with vivid photos and travel tales giving readers an incredible insight into Walt and Lilly’s voyages abroad.
- SEAS THE DAY: Take a dive at Epcot: It’s a whole new world as Disney twenty-three Editor-in-Chief Carmen Capone goes scuba diving and comes face to face with a shark!
- THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM: Richard Kraft, agent to musical talents Danny Elfman, Alan Menken, Richard Sherman and others, packs his Encino, California, home with vintage Disney treasures… including, of course, a Dumbo attraction vehicle from Walt Disney World.
- 23 QUESTIONS WITH… Imagineer, attraction designer and Disney Legend Bob Gurr.
- A WALK WITH WALT 1939: WORLDS TO CONQUER: Even as Walt crafted his groundbreaking Fantasia, construction crews were breaking ground on his brand new studios in Burbank .
- D SOCIETY: Alan Menken, Leonard Maltin and some very popular D23 Members (even a duo direct from Tokyo !) are all in the spotlight.
- PHOTOfiles: Disney twenty-three’s ninth installment of rare pictures from the Disney Photo Library takes readers from a 1941 photo shoot with Walt to visits back home to Marceline and to the set of Mary Poppins.
- GOOD MOUSEKEEPING: This issue of Disney twenty-three debuts a new column featuring classic Disney comics originally published in the 1930s and early 1940s in Good Housekeeping magazine. Once a staple in the pages of the magazine, these charming and nostalgic illustrations now come alive in the pages of Disney twenty-three where fans can appreciate them anew.
And there’s even more for Disney fans to explore! As with every issue of Disney twenty-three, D23 Members receive an added bonus. This issue comes with an exclusive D23 Expo 2011 luggage tag featuring the beloved chipmunks Chip and Dale that will be shipped to members exclusively. To become a D23 Member and learn more about membership and the spring issue of Disney twenty-three, visit www.disney.com/D23.
Beginning February 1, Disney twenty-three is available at select retail locations for $15.95.
The name “D23” pays homage to the wonder and excitement that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his fledgling studio in Hollywood . D23 is the first official community for fans in Disney’s 88-year history. D23 gives its members a greater connection to the entire world of Disney by placing them in the middle of the magic through its quarterly publication, Disney twenty-three; a rich website at www.disney.com/D23; a collectibles line, The Walt Disney Archives Collection; and special events for D23 Members throughout the year. Fans can join D23 at www.Disney.com/D23, select shops at Disneyland® Resort and Walt Disney World® Resort and www.DisneyStore.com.